As many of us have spent more time than ever confined to our homes in 2020, it is natural that you will want to freshen up your space by redecorating.
Boylin’s Self Store is here to provide you with our top 5 tips for redecorating easily, safely and creatively in 2020 and 2021.
In the following article are some simple redecorating tips for those that chose to undertake the project on your own for Covid-19 safety, as now is not the ideal time for decorators and contractors to be traipsing in and out of your home.
Step 1 when freshening up your space is to take control of the space by de-cluttering.
A cluttered house can be an immense source of anxiety, and the last thing you need during these uncertain times is to be stressed while you are safe and trying to relax at home.
Quick Tips on How to Start De-cluttering Your Home:
- Ask yourself the classic Marie Kondo question: ‘Does this spark joy?’ If the answer is no, then the item has no place in your home, where space is now more sought after than ever.
- For more of Marie Kondo’s words of wisdom on de-cluttering you can watch her Netflix show, ‘Tidying up with Marie Kondo’ or watch this brief video that contains 10 of her tidying tips and tricks.
- Ask yourself: Do I use this?
- How long has it been since I’ve used it?
- Will I use it again?
- Is it worth the space it takes up in my house?
- These questions will help you decide on what stays and what goes in your quest to enliven and spice up your home.
If during your decluttering quest, you come across items that no longer have a place in your now crowded home, but you cannot bear to part with due to sentimental value, you should consider investing in a self storage unit!
A self storage unit is the perfect investment during 2020 as storing spare belongings in a storage facility will free up crucial space in your cramped home.
Why Choose Boylin’s Self Store During Your Redecorating, De-cluttering Journey?
- We aim to save You money! During the current recession and financial crisis many of us are on a tighter budget when redecorating than usual. Therefore we want to give you the best deal possible – as reflected through our affordable prices. For as little as £9.45pw, you can gain a completely safe and secure space for treasured belongings!
- All our self storage units provide you with absolute security from theft as every single one of our containers are wind and water tight as well as completely secure. All of our sites benefit from state of the art CCTV and barrier controls which are only accessible through individual key or fob.
- Our storage is available instantly so you can gain access to your storage unit the very same day, no hassle, no waiting around, you can get on with your redecorating project ASAP with Boylin’s Self Store. Moreover, all our containers also conveniently have ground floor accessibility. So you can immediately drive directly up to your container to offload or pick up your items. Our storage is now also available contact free to prevent the spread of Covid-19!
- We provide flexible contracts and a variety of sized containers. So if you want to store a small amount or large bulky items, for a few days, weeks or even months, we have a contract to suit you!
- We have many accessible locations, such as: Barnsley, Bradford, Leeds, Rotherham, Sheffield, Swinton and Wakefield. Our sites are available during our convenient hours of 06:00 – 18:30 Monday – Friday, 08:00 – 16:00 Saturdays, and 08:00 – 14:00 Sundays.
For more information about Boylin’s Self Store visit our website here.
Boylin’s Self Store is here to help you during your redecorating project!
2. Organisation is the Key to Optimising Your Space.
Organisation is key to redecorating. Once you have de-cluttered, it’s now time to organise your belongings.
Try and keep similar things together. For example, group all of your children’s toys together by type:
- Building blocks
- Musical Instruments
- Barbies, Clothes, Shoes
- Baby Dolls, Baby Clothes, Bottle, Pram
- Board games, Card Games, Puzzles
Once your objects are grouped together and placed into self storage so that they are out of the way rather than under foot, you need to find a place for everything.
Try and put things in a place that makes sense. For example keep children’s toys stored near their playroom, bedroom or the living room so that they are accessible but organised. For further advice on how to organise your children’s toys in particular, you can check out another of our helpful news article here.
Top Tips to Help You Organise:
- Position ‘in house’ storage units where you have room to place lots of containers, They are always a worthy investment! Everything will be grouped together in one handy accessible place!
- Make sure to label your storage containers so that you know what each box contains and can find things quickly and efficiently.
- Invest in external self storage for anything that does not need to be used imminently. Self storage is a very cost-effective investment as it is a useful external space to place your boxed up items until you need them rather than letting things clutter your home or gather dust.
3. Never Underestimate the Power of a New Lick of Paint.
If you’re looking to revitalise your home, you should never underestimate the power of a new colour scheme and a lick of paint.
It’s easy to get carried away and start planning for expensive extensions, and complex renovations.
However, a cost-effective and simple way to change the energy and style of your home is by changing up the colour palette.
Do you feel that your rooms are too dark? Painting the walls a bright/light colour can make your room feel not only airier but bigger! This impression of light and space can really serve to spice up your space.
Alternatively, do you want your space to feel more adult, more dramatic? A dark colour on the walls can really set the tone for a room!
Why not consider a ‘statement wall’ painted in a bright, bold colour? This can open up a whole new dimension for the room.
4. Experiment with a New Feng Shui.
For professor Laura Benko, author of The Holistic Home, Feng Shui is not about transforming the structure of a home, but about making our homes evolve with us. Though nearly imperceptible, these small tweaks can have a “profound impact on your daily life,” she insists.
So why not move some furniture around. Experiment, find a new configuration that suits you.
- Make sure the space is functional for your family.
- Why not take items away, make the space less cluttered, less noisy and more focused.
- Prof. Benko reiterates that clutter is the enemy of Feng Shui, for a calm and relaxing home your space must be clutter free!
- Increase the amount of natural light if possible as this is great for improving the energy of a room.
5. Invest in Some Statement Pieces
A great way to redecorate your space is to invest in a handful or even just 1 statement piece.
It could be a statement chair, a piece of artwork, a dramatic lighting fixture, a dazzling mirror or a bold rug.
Investigate what is on the market. What catches your eye? What would practically fit in your home?
Your statement piece should be something that brings you joy every time you look at it.
It should be a talking point for any guests that come to your home.
So take your time, browse and find a statement piece that will make your room feel like a brand new space!
Whatever you decide to do when redecorating your space in 2020, Boylin’s Self Store is here to help with cost-effective, local self storage!