Many first time users of Wakefield storage facilities usually end up making mistakes that not only cost them storage space, but also cost them important items that they have kept in storage. Boylin’s will share a list of some of the most important tips for using self storage containers in this article.
Whether you have run out of room in your home, are looking for a place to store business inventory, are moving houses or are travelling for a while, a self storage container is a great place to keep your property.
You need to know how to use it properly – you cannot afford to just dump everything in there and lock it up.
Boylin’s Top Tips for using Self Storage Containers
- You should try and estimate how much space you need prior to the actual day you will be keeping your items. There are some websites that have calculators that can help you do this based on the size of the room that you are packing up. Better yet, you can look for a Wakefield storage facility that has knowledgeable employees who can help you rent just the right amount of space.
- Make sure that you have the right packing materials. The secret to getting your items safe after a spell in storage is to pack them properly. You should buy sturdy boxes as well as bubble wrap and newspapers to protect delicate items. Make sure that you pack similar items in the same box. With bedding, for example, you should launder, properly dry, fold and then pack in sealed plastic bags . Seal it properly and label it, including the room where the beddings are from. Not only does it make it easier to retrieve items during storage, you will also have an easier time when you get your items out of storage and unpack them for your new home.
- You should buy boxes in different sizes. You need to pack heavy items in smaller boxes so that they are easier to lift. Lighter items can be packed in bigger boxes.
- All electronics must be properly cleaned and dried before they are packed. Make sure that you fold all cables properly and tape them to the side of the item to avoid tangling. Your fridge should be cleaned and aired prior to storage. While it is in storage you should open it up from time to time to let out the musty smell.
- Make sure that you choose a Wakefield self store service that takes customer satisfaction seriously. The best ones ensure that they clean out every container before they rent it out. They also invest in self store containers of different sizes to suit different self storage needs. Make sure each self store container is completely secure. It is always a good idea to add a padlock of your own just to ensure that there is no risk of unauthorised access.
- Make sure that you take good care of your self store container during the entire rental duration. If you damage the self storage container you might be liable. This often results in the loss of your deposit. Sometimes, if the damage is extensive the deposit might not cover it. It is therefore possible you will be asked to pay even more depending on the extent of the damage. You should avoid scratching or denting the self store container.
- It is very important to make a comprehensive list of everything that you store. You may think that it is enough to count the number of boxes that you have in storage, but someone may break into the boxes and steal items from the boxes. You will not know it happened. It is best to list everything that goes into every box.
- Make sure that you don’t use your Wakefield storage container to store junk. One of the most important tips for using self storage containers is that you should purge old and unwanted items before you store. So get rid of everything that you wont use or need again. All the rest is suitable for long or short term self storage.
- Store items you’ll need most often at the front of the container.
- When you pack your storage unit, create a centre aisle for access to all items.
- Do not place boxes directly on concrete floors, but use pallets or skids to allow air flow around and under items.
- If you’re storing tables and other furniture, remove legs and store tabletops and sofas on end, to save space.
- Old photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat, place them between two pieces of cardboard and tape them together.
- Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other items with small engines.
- Common sense and law determines what may be stored. You alone control access to your storage space therefore never store firearms, illicit drugs or drug paraphernalia, live animals, perishables, liquids, explosives, flammable liquids and fuels, toxic materials, or other items that need a controlled environment.
- Use dustbin to store shovels, hoes and rakes.
- Mattresses should be covered and stored flat on level surfaces.
- Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- When storing metal items, to retard rust, wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- Pack blankets, draperies, and dress clothes on the hanger in a wardrobe box.
At Boylin’s Self Store we can help you come up with the most effective way to store your items. We offer weatherproof containers in many sizes. Employees are on site that can advice you how to store your items safely.
You can contact us on 01924 379371 for more information or to book your self store container today.