Choosing Boylin’s Self Store for your storage needs is an excellent way to go. We have several locations near you. Our containers are all weatherproof and they are all highly secure. Over the years, we have learned a lot from operating self storage facilities. This is why we are happy to give our clients tips on the most efficient way to store their items. Boylin’s Self Store compiled a Self Storage Check List for you.
Many people assume that self storage is a magic bullet. Most of us think that self storage will take care of our items for as long as they are locked away. This is not true. If you want to find your property in the same condition that you left it. There are some important precautions that you should take.
Here is a simple self storage check list to guide you:
- Organise, organise, organise – this is probably the most important tip when it comes to self storage. You should make sure that you know where everything is. When the time comes to retrieve your items. You can do it fast and efficiently. You should make sure that you pack away one room at a time. Make sure you have boxes for every room in which you can pack items. Label each box with its contents and the room where it came from. As you stack the boxes in the self storage container make sure that the labels face outwards. Retrieval is easier this way.
- Your kitchen will probably take you the longest to pack for storage. You should be especially careful with your electronics. Make sure that they are all clean and dry and that their cords are taped to the side. If you throw everything in a box untangling cords later will be an unnecessary headache. If you will be keeping your fridge with us make sure that it is defrosted, clean and dry. Air it properly to minimise the risk of odours during storage. As for delicates such as china you should wrap it in bubble wrap and or newspapers and label those boxes to indicate that it contains fragile items.
- Don’t store dirty laundry. The smell after a few weeks will be intolerable and it will attract vermin and pests. Make sure to run all laundry that will go into your self storage unit through a washer and dryer. Then fold all properly and store them in waterproof envelopes (plastic bags) inside your boxes.
- Store vertically – you want to make the most of your space. Stack boxes upwards. Put the big ones at the bottom and the smaller ones at the top. Make sure to balance everything properly to prevent boxes from tumbling down. You should ensure that there is enough room left around the edge of the container for you to move around it during storage and retrieval operations.
- You might find insuring any items of high value as an important added security. While we have secure storage facilities, insurance is a well-advised precaution because it protects you in case there is any damage.
- We advise our clients to put an additional lock on containers that contain valuables. We have secure locks, but for your own peace of mind you may want to bring along your own locks. If anyone else, other than you, will be accessing the containers it is a good idea to provide their information at our front desk.
- Don’t pack anything that can melt, such as make up, cooking ingredients and so on. As the weather changes and containers heat up melting can cause damage.
- You can store your furniture with us, but we encourage you to take all the proper precautions. If it can come apart into smaller pieces you should break it up for easier storage. For single pieces such as sofas bring along large bed sheets to cover them so as to keep away dust.
Boylin’s does not allow storage of any of the following items
- Live animals or plants
- Petrol, diesel or any other fuel
- Flammable materials of any sort
- Toxic, polluted or contaminated goods
- Radioactive materials
- Waste of any sort
- Illegal goods, stolen
- Cash of securities
- Food or perishable goods
- Aerosol cans, gas bottles
- Firearms, munitions, explosives, fireworks
If unsure please ask a member of staff.
Our simply contact us on 01226 321800 to reserve your space today.