We will discuss boat self storage in this news article. Your boat is probably one of your bigger assets. When winter comes around you want to make sure that it is safe. Not just from thieves but also from the weather. If you are lucky enough you may have enough land or room at your home to store a boat. If you are one of the unlucky ones looking for alternatives you have came knocking on the right door.
An Alternatives for Winter storage of your Boat
Before you spend a lot of money renting a small warehouse you should consider using our Boylin’s boat self storage. All our self storage shipping containers can be used for storage of personal items such as furniture and electronics, business inventory and documents, vehicles and of course also boats.
The first is that not all storage facilities are the same. There are some that will keep your boat in perfect condition and others that won’t. There are some that cannot promise that your boat will be safe and others that take precautions to make sure that it is.
It is important to do some research and find a self storage facility that can take care of your important asset for the duration it will be needed to stay in a self store. Like us Boylin’s Self Store. We are experts at helping you store all sorts of items. As long as your boat can fit in one of our large self storage shipping containers. You can be sure that we will keep it safe for you.
Tips and Advice for Boat Self Storage by Boylin’s self store
Below is a list of tips and advice we give to our clients before they store boats with us:
- It is a good idea to make sure that your boat is serviced before it comes to us. Make sure that all mechanical parts are in good working order. So that when you take it out after the winter. It is ready for use.
- As you plan for storage space include your trailer too. We recommend that clients sit their boats on their trailers when they are storing them because it makes everything much more easy. You can back into the container and when the time comes to leave you can roll your boat out easily.
- All our self storage containers are weatherproof so you don’t have to worry about the elements affecting your boat. Nevertheless, it is always a good idea to utilise an additional cover that will keep off dust and other debris. This ensures that when you eventually retrieve your boat you don’t have to spend time cleaning it.
- Never store your boat before you rinse off all salt water. During storage it will react with oxygen and the metallic parts of your boat will begin to rust. You can hoist the boat on your trailer and then hose down all parts that come in contact with salt water. You can seal it with wax as an additional measure against rust.
More Tips and Advice
- Remove all electronics, such as televisions and radios, before you store your boat. You can store them separately and safely in a different container. You should inspect the whole boat to make sure that there are no food scraps left behind as they will attract rodents and all kinds of other pests. These will be hard to get rid of later.
- All fabrics should also be removed and stored in a rodent-free manner.
- Since you want to store your boat for the whole winter season you should disconnect your battery. It reacts on storage like your car battery would. If the battery is left connected it will degrade and can affect its performance negatively.
- Since you want to use your boat immediately you take it out of storage, you may want to leave it with a full tank of fuel. This is fine, as long as you remember to add a stabilizer to it’s fuel to make sure that it stays safe over time.
Lastly, if you are not sure what amount of space you need for your boat and trailer you can contact use for guidance.
Send us the dimensions of both through our website where you can find contact details for each of Boylin’s self store locations.