If you are about to store your belongings in a self storage unit, the storage experts Boylin’s Self Store are here with some top tips to help you safely prepare your items for self storage.
This will make sure your precious items are stored as safely and efficiently as possible, making your self storage journey smooth and stress-free!
If you are looking for an efficient method to get your not-needed-at-the-moment but potentially useful or highly cherished belongings out of your already cluttered home without saying goodbye to them forever Boylin’s Self Store is here to help.
You need affordable and accessible self storage for everything you want to keep but don’t have the space for at the moment. So if you are wanting to preserve your antique inherited furniture, your children’s artwork, your useful but not in use tools – self storage is the solution you’re looking for.
A self-storage container provides a simple and very convenient solution for your needs. All you have to do is choose an appropriate storage facility such as Boylin’s Self Store and store your items in your secure container.
However, to ensure the excellent condition of your treasured belongings while in storage, you need to prepare and pack them with care and precision.
- Organise and pack your items in a systematic and practical manner, so that you can easily find (and access) whichever of them you may need at a given moment.
- Ensure the best possible protection against dust, dirt, moisture and damage.
To achieve this you should follow these simple but effective storage packing tips:
- Make sure the items you pack for storage are clean and dry.
- Disassemble large items to better protect each individual part.
- Use quality packing materials and provide sufficient padding.
- Pack the boxes full but don’t overload them and seal them tightly.
- Label all of your boxes.
- Group them in your storage unit by function so they are easy to find when you need them!
Now you’ve got the basics, it’s important to consider that each item or group of items needs individual specific packing techniques which we will now outline below!
How to Prepare Furniture for Self Storage
Your creativity may be put to the test when packing awkwardly shaped furniture pieces but by following our handy tips and tricks, you can triumph and store your bulky furniture with ease!
- Vacuum with a brush to remove any excess dirt, and clean all the surfaces with a gentle solution of soap and water. Let the furniture air dry fully.
- Apply furniture protection spray, as well as leather conditioner, when applicable. Protect any wood finishes with a coat of wax to seal the wood and reduce the risk of mould development. Wipe down metal elements with oil to prevent tarnishing and rusting.
- Disassemble large furniture pieces as much as possible. Protect small protruding elements with bubble wrap. Pack all the detached pieces from one furniture item together and put small hardware parts (bolts, hinges, etc.) in sealable plastic bags (tape the bags to the corresponding furniture to prevent losing or mixing the small parts).
- Cover the furniture with sheets and blankets or specialized fabric furniture covers (especially if your items will be stored long-term). Secure the blankets in place with rubber bands, cinch straps, or plastic wrap.
Do not use plastic wrap directly on wooden or leather furniture as the plastic covers can trap moisture and heat and cause the wood or leather to warp or mould.
- Empty any appliances you intend to put into storage and clean them thoroughly (needless to say, freezers and refrigerators must be defrosted first). It’s a good idea to add bleach or baking soda in the cleaning solution to properly disinfect the appliances and remove any unpleasant smells.
- Make sure any water is completely drained from the attached hoses or internal mechanisms of your household appliances (dishwashers and washing machines, in particular). Otherwise, water can freeze and damage the appliance during the winter months or cause mildew during warmer weather.
- Tie down and secure any attached cables and hoses. Store removed hoses or other attachments inside the appliance.
It is recommendable to leave the doors of your household appliances slightly ajar when they are in storage to allow for proper ventilation (it will help prevent condensation, mould and bad odours).
- When storing clothes for prolonged periods of time, we advised you to refrain from folding them up and stuffing them in boxes.
- Instead hang your garments on a clothes rail instead to keep them wrinkle-free and ensure good ventilation (this will help prevent mould).
- It may be a good idea to wrap your most expensive and delicate clothes in a suitable protective cover to keep them fresh and clean all the time.
- Store your hanging clothes in wardrobe boxes as they provide the best possible protection against dust and dampness.
- Use some kind of insect repellent product such naphthalene or mothballs to protect clothing that will be stored long term.
- Wrap all fragile items individually with packing paper or bubble wrap for added safety.
- Line the bottoms of the packing boxes with adequate padding and use lots of crumpled paper, bubble wrap, soft fabric items (towels, clothes, etc.) to provide extra cushioning between the items.
- Mark the boxes “Fragile” and “Handle with care”.
- Place plates, saucers and bowls on their sides to prevent breakages
- Place cups and glasses with their rims down
- Nest smaller dishes in larger ones only if both are properly wrapped
- Use masking tape to create an “X” on glass surfaces in order to add strength and prevent shattering
- Place flat cardboard pieces on both sides of the glass for maximum protection
- Store statuettes, figurines, and other pieces of art or fragile collectibles in sturdy boxes.
Why choose Boylin’s Self Store to Store Your Packed, Prepared & Precious Belongings?
- At Boylin’s Self Store we aim to save your family money, as we know that especially during the current recession and financial crisis many of us are on a tighter budget than usual. Therefore we want to give you the best deal possible – as reflected through our cheap, cost-effective prices. For as little as £9.45pw, you can gain a completely safe and secure external space for your summer essentials! We even give you your second month’s rent for Half Price, just to give you an extra helping hand! You can even verify that you are getting the best deal through our handy price match guarantee, so that you know you’re in the safest, most affordable hands.
- Our self-storage units will afford you extra security from theft as every single one of our containers are wind and water tight as well as completely secure. All of our sites benefit from state of the art CCTV and barrier controls which are only accessible through individual key or fob.
- We have many accessible locations, such as: Barnsley, Bradford, Leeds, Rotherham, Sheffield, Swinton and Wakefield. Our sites are available during the convenient hours 06:00 – 18:30 Monday – Friday, 08:00 – 16:00 Saturdays, and 08:00 – 14:00 Sundays.
- We also provide consistent and useful content with self storage advice all to aid you in your self storage journey. So follow our handy tips and tricks to prepare your precious belongings to keep them as safe as possible when in self storage!
At Boylin’s Self Store, Self Storage is Our Name, Aim & Passion!
At Boylin’s Self Store, we are so devoted to finding storage solutions for families like yours that we have worked tirelessly throughout the pandemic, signing people up and safely providing storage solutions those in need. We understand that in the past 18 months people have needed a helping hand to ensure their home is a stress free and safe environment, and we want to be there for you this summer!
Moreover, during this financially unstable time, it is more crucial than ever before to support smaller local business, so we would be honoured to have your business this summer.
Prepare your precious belongings for self storage with the help of Boylin’s Self Store, after all we are here to make your summer self storage experience as stress free as possible!